Sunday, October 4, 2009

Rest in Peace Gramma B

Ethelyn Alberta Bennett
1915-2009

Zach's grandmother passed away last Monday, September 28. She was 94 years old and lived a rich life in both Kansas and, for the last year, in Texas closer to family.

We made a quick road trip to Kansas for her funeral to honor Gramma B.

She loved and taught music at all levels for years and ended her teaching career teaching 3rd grade. She instilled the love of music in her daughter, my mother-in-law, who is a junior high music and choir teacher in Flower Mound, Texas.

I thought her pastor, Rev. Dr. Felix D. Burrows, summed her up best when he referred to her as a "mighty mini" in his eulogy. She was a tiny woman, but determined, outspoken, and quite a spitfire even in her last days.


Her church, the First United Methodist Church in Ottawa, Kansas is breathtakingly beautiful and over 100 years old.


A thoughtful family friend had these banners hung for the service. They were purchased in honor of Gramma B's late son, Morris "Ben" Bennett, who passed away young at 41 due to a heart attack.


Gramma B was laid to rest at the most gorgeous cemetery I have ever visited. Oak Hill Cemetery in Quenemo, Kansas.

Zach's cousin Janna wrote a beautiful eulogy to her grandmother on her blog, The Adventure of Motherhood that I would like to share. She shares the story of when Gramma B accompanied her to school.

"But when I got to choir late that afternoon, I realized one of the reasons she had come to school with me that day. For some reason, the choir director never entered class that day. So my grandma stepped up to the podium and began directing the choir with her petite, knobby arthritic hands as we sang through Christmas carols. After thirty years as a music teacher she knew just what to do. As we prepared to sing "O Come All Ye Faithful" I remember her saying in a dreamy voice, "This section must be as smooth as velvet." It was a beautiful look into what she had spent so many years of her life doing and loving.


It's been 14 years since my grandma visited school with me that day, but I will always remember her waving her short arms so elegantly and so passionately as we sang. She also encouraged me to love, enjoy and study music, and I did.

However, on Monday night September 28, after almost 95 years on this earth, she went home to be with her Lord. I'm grateful to know that her limited sight, hearing and mobility are no longer slowing her down. She's enjoying a glorified body, and I hope she's singing her little soprano heart out to the One who is worthy of all praise. I love you grandma and look forward to singing to Him with you one day. But for now I just want to shout, "Sing, Grandma!...Sing!""

We love and miss you Gramma B!
I'm so thankful you were a part of my life and a part of Tatum's!


Gramma B and Tatum last Thanksgiving:



Sharing a smooch last Easter:

1 comment:

Janna said...

Thanks for sharing about Grandma. I love the pics of her with Tatum. I wish I could have been there, but Aunt Lyn forwarded me your pics and I really enjoyed seeing those. Take care! I'm sure you couldn't wait to see Tatum again after being away! :P