Friday, January 15, 2010

Gramma Hazel is Home


Gramma Hazel was born in 1917 in Franklin, PA, the oldest of 4 girls.

She was married to her high school sweetheart, Ira, for 57 years and was a devoted mom, always home for her family.

She was a hands-on grandma, who didn’t hesitate to get on the floor to play, whether it was a game, cards, or puzzles.

She was always up for Rumikub and Scrabble.

Gramma Hazel was a perfect example of an independent woman, always making the right decision, even though it wasn’t always the easy one. She was able, even as she aged, to take some suggestion and make it her own idea, like when she decided to stop driving and sell her car at age 90!

She was a huge Cleveland Cavaliers and Cleveland Indians fan. She loved her LeBron James – Shaq, not so much!

Mom’s motto was go-go-go, whether she was baking cookies and shopping with her girls. A lot of people are not fortunate enough to have their Gramma live as long as she did and we know how lucky we are.

We will miss her so much!

(The above was taken from notes to be spoken at her funeral on Monday)


I'm torn because part of me wants to be in Ohio for her funeral and the other part of me knows she would have told me to stay home. Like my mom says, it's far more important to spend time with loved ones while they are alive than at their funeral.

Personally, I will always remember Gramma by her clip on earrings, Chanel No. 5 perfume, the way she'd pat her wet curly hair to make it dry just right, how she'd fall asleep mouth WIDE open while reading the paper and then totally deny that she was sleeping when we caught her, her soft wrinkly arms, the way she said and called me "Honey", the way her old house in Kent smelled, and how much she loved to play games. I'll especially remember how she'd proclaim "Pass!" when she didn't have the right cards or tiles for her turn. So cute. She could still kick butt in RummiKub!

I love you Gramma!

If anyone is reading this from Kent, the services are:

Monday January 18, 2010

S.C. Bissler & Sons
628 W. Main St.
Kent, Ohio
330 673 5857

Calling Hour 1 - 2, Service 2pm

In lieu of flowers, please make donations to:
Hospice of the Western Reserve
300 E. 185th St.
Cleveland, Ohio 44119

In memory of Hazel Kline
28520 Westlake Village Dr., B 122
Westlake, Oh 44145




5 comments:

Tracy said...

Sorry about your grandma, thinking of you today.

Janna said...

I'm so glad she could go peacefully! May peace be with you as well. I'm sure she was quite a treasure.

RAPN! said...

I'm sorry about your Gramma. May she rest in peace! Hugs!

Kelley said...

Hi Amy,
Not sure if you remember me but my Grandma Ludwick and your Grandpa Kline were brother/sister. I just got back from the services for your Gramma. It was beautiful and your Uncle Jim spoke some beautiful words and memories about your Gramma. She was a great lady who always had spunk and a beautiful smile that would light up the room:) She will be missed!
-Kelley Ward Abell

Shannon said...

The picture of your grandma is so cute! What great memories. I'm so sorry that you couldn't be there for the funeral. I know that's hard for you. Take some time to enjoy thinking about the wonderful memoires you have with her. Love you.