Sunday, July 26, 2009

hAiR!

I'm stealing the entire idea for this post from my cousin (in-law) Janna. We both are semi addicted to constantly changing our hair... for the better and sometimes definitely for the worse. I'm speaking for myself here...

So, it all started almost 29 years ago.
Baby Amy and her mom's obsession with barettes, pigtails, braids, etc.



Back in Temple.

I think I was about 2 here.

Begin the barettes!

Circa 1983

If you put two barettes in, why not 4?

1986

Kindergarten maybe?

Don't even get me started about how much I wish I still had hair that looked like this!!!

Sadly, I don't have those pretty golden locks (my PE coach in elementary school actually called me Goldie Locks), so I have forever been trying to find something else I might just like as much.

Because I didn't want to take the time to flip through every photo album in my house, I've compiled some examples from the last 7 years to show you just how inconsistent I am.

About the only thing that has ever stayed the same is having it high lighted. I just HATE the dishwater brown it is naturally. Blondes who don't stay blonde get the most dull hair color ever.

I apologize to every hair dresser I've ever had for changing my mind so many times! And I wonder why they always ask me "So what's it this time Amy?"


2002

Possibly one of my favorite cuts ever.
Looking at this picture makes me want to chop it all off again!
(This is college boyfriend Francis)

2003

Longer... guess I wanted to be able to "put it up", my favorite reason to start growing it long.
Enter Zach! YAY!

2003

Enter BANGS. Not my favorite bangs... why they are all feathered and hella short, I don't know.

2004

Getting longer still... the bangs are looking so much better!!

2005

LONG... almost to my waist at this point and too long really. Even the bangs are too long. Why do brides want to have long hair for their wedding anyhow? Kinda of a waste. I chopped it before the wedding and wore it down too.

This is one of our engagement photos we took for the Wimberley View.

2005

CHOP!

We had the mat around this picture signed by everyone at the wedding. Awesome keepsake, by the way.

2006

CHOP, again. Tired of the bangs. Bobby pins always find their way into the mix about the millionth time my hair falls in my face.

This is Melly, my best friend for 25 years and counting... miss and love you girl! xo

2006

Longer... hell with the bangs at this point.

This was our first anniversary. That's my 98 pound German Shepherd in my arms. My how she's grown! Oh, and our sweet Sara Sue.

2006

OH MY GOODNESS!

I know, that's what I said. This is proof that there should be PERFECTLY CLEAR communication between the stylist and you and that you should NEVER go to someone for the first time and "try something new". Does this look like a dark brown bob with short bangs to you? I even brought a PICTURE!

Red?? Ouch, this one hurt and left me calling my normal gal for an emergency fix.

I can't believe I actually have a picture of this mess.

2006

Better.

Well, the color at least. I lived in a headband for months until I didn't have "dog ears" anymore. Really, it was bad!

2007

Totally different and what I was looking for in the first place. Short, brown, and bangs.

This was our 2nd anniversary. Little did we know we had gotten pregnant with our Bug just days before!



Spring 2008

This is the person who gave birth to Tatum June. Tatum doesn't recognize her and point and say Mama when we're looking at pictures of this lady. I, personally, really liked her hair!

I was feeling ready for a switch though. Over a year with practically the same 'do?? I guess being pregnant really does make you crazy!

Summer 2008

The blonde is creeping back in.... hair is growing....

Fall 2008

Almost back to a spiffed up natural color and hell with the bangs again....

Winter 2008

The bobby pins are back. No bangs and getting longer...

Summer 2009

Well, it's been a journey, but here I am today.

Long (nice for pony tails) and bangs (nice for my face, I think). And it's weird because it actually has a little wave to it. Pregnancy really is a mystery! But now after a few of these pictures.... that short haircut near the top has got me thinking....

Speaking of bad hair, I'm horribly sad to announce that Tatum June has what appears to me to be a mullet. I'm sure we'll grow right past this awkward place, but for now, it's seriously a mullet! HA! Maybe a little bow will distract people... :)

6 comments:

Janna said...

LOVED the walk through Amy's hairdo lane!!! I love how you added some pics of your younger days. I hope more people will do the same b/c I find it very interesting and amusing. Everyone's had at least on bad cut.

I have to catch up on blog reading. I hardly know what a computer is since I started traveling. Love the new blog background too!

Tim, Courtney, Noah and Zoey said...

Oh my gosh Amy...i love this post! Sadly if i did the same, my hair would look the same in every picture except when i cut my "bob" when we were in i think 9th grade and when i cut my hair to my shoulder when i was preggers with Zozo. My hair has always been long and long!!! Oh wait i did have a spiral perm in elementary school...Anyways, I am actually growing my hair out to donate to Locks Of Love in september so it is to to be SHORT. Any hair ideas would be appreciated!!! Oh and Gogi, the lady who cuts Zoey and Noah's hair always told me just to snip the ends of their baby fine hair and it would help it grow. Catch her while she is sleeping and soon she will have a full head of hair! love you guys1

gjones said...

Absolutely love it! That is too funny Amy! Such a great post!! :)I can only imagine the walk through of my own hairdo's and don't s!

Stephanie said...

I loved looking at your hair through the years Amy. I love all the styles on you. You can pull off anything. I wish I could wear mine short, but my face won't work with short hair. You are lucky that you look great in any of the cuts and styles. :)

Shannon said...

I wish I was as adventurous with my hair! I love how bold you are! In many aspects of your life! You're such a fun person to know!

Shannon said...

BTW, did you live in Temple in 1983? I was there then. Of course, I was 9, but whatever. I met Mean Joe Green when he came to speak to our school. And hung out daily at the Ralph Wilson Youth Center. Only lived there for one year.