Friday, July 24, 2009

Overwhelmed...

I wish there was enough time in the day to do it all.

Everything on my list, both written and the never-ending one in my head is overwhelming.

Why is it so hard for me to "be" and live in the moment?


Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

- Ruth Hulbert Hamilton

I don't want to miss a single moment.


The pressure to "do it all" is amazing, but most of it is put in place by ME! It's time for some change around here... so if you're coming over, be prepared to leave with cat hair on your clothes and don't trip on that toy on your way out the door!

3 comments:

Janna said...

Thank you! I only knew the last 2 lines of the poem and couldn't find the author! I love this one.


It always makes me gulp at the end.

stephanie said...

Amen sista! I LOVE that poem too, and it's so true! Babies don't keep, but the house and all it's work will always be there. We, as moms and women, put way too much pressure on ourselves. This was a great post. :)

Unknown said...

Awww, I did not read the poem last time I read this... It's great!

I need to print that up and put it on every surface in my house. I often wish I had the opposite problem with messes than I currently do....